P: (416) 901.3077
F: (416) 901.3079
E: info@springboardclinic.com

Suite 301, 1055 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON, M4W 2L2
Home Our Team Assessment Treatment Testimonials Events / Groups Blog
News and Tips for Thriving with ADHD

Tax Credits and Medical Expenses for ADHD

February 10th, 2011 by Springboard Clinic

Are you eligible to receive money tax credits or medical expenses for ADHD from the government?

Getting comprehensive ADHD assessment and treatment can be expensive: psychological reports, coaching, tutoring, medication – it all adds up. Many of our patients have insurance coverage which helps out in terms of cost, but there are two other tax credit options that are available and worth exploring: 1. Medical Expenses and 2. The Disability Tax Credit.

We are by no means experts in taxes, but we recently attended an information session hosted by ONBIDA (http://idaontario.com/) and here are some of the key takeaways:

Treatment doesn’t have to be performed by a doctor to be considered a Medical Expense.
Things like tutoring, coaching and tuition for special schools can all be considered as medical expenses, as long as the care is being overseen by a medical professional. If you have been diagnosed with ADHD and your doctor provides a letter of support, such expenses are eligible for a non-refundable tax credit of $20.05 of every $100 you spend.  The letter must include certain requirements and there are some limitations, for example: your total expenses must exceed $2000.

Check out this link to learn more.

Get money back for your child’s exercise.
For children with ADHD, exercise can be the best medicine. The government offers a Child Fitness Tax credit of $75 for every $500 you spend on your child’s fitness. Check it out: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/whtsnw/fitness-eng.html

Not everyone with ADHD will be eligible for the Disability Tax Credit.
Some people may qualify for the Disability Tax Credit, but you have to demonstrate “marked restriction”, which means if you’ve successfully completed university and have a steady job, it is likely you won’t qualify.  You have to demonstrate a very significant impairment in day-to-day life.

Are you eligible?:

  1. Start by checking out this link to learn more: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/316/lgbl-eng.html
  2. Speak with your medical practitioner about filling out a T-2201: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2201/

It will take a bit of effort, but if you’re willing to suffer through some tedious government forms, there are options out there.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Get Updates

Email address:

Search Posts

Recent Posts

Archived Posts


Popular Tags

ADHD in the Workplace ADHD Medication ADHD Myths Assessment FAQ Back-to-School Books Coaching Communication and Relationships Complementary/Alternative Treatment Dealing with Setbacks Difficult behaviours Disclosing Focus and Staying on Task Forgetfulness Frequently Asked Questions Friendships and Social Skills Fun Challenges Golden Moments Help with Goal Setting Holidays and Time Off Impulsivity and Emotional Reactivity Inspiration Internal Restlessness Mental Health Mindfulness Money Management Nutrition and Eating Occupational Therapy Organization and Time Management Physical Activity Physical Health Psycho-educational assessments Research Resources Sleep Springboard Newsletter Stress and Anxiety Students Tips and Ideas Tools and Technology Videos